From caustic soda to detergent powders and now liquid detergents, laundry cleaning has its own little backstory. Most of us have lived that time when every detergent powder was called ‘surf’ without caring about the brand, because there were hardly two or three brands available in the market. But now things have changed drastically. There are varieties of detergents, with different colors, fragrances, and claims.
Some claim that they can whiten the clothes even brighter than they were when they were bought, while some guarantee the color retainment of your clothes. It is hence tougher, like the stains on our clothes, to decide what kind of detergent to opt for as clothes come in direct contact with our bodies and there is a sea of detergents to choose from.
There are mostly three types of detergents. The good old powder detergent. The second one is the liquid detergent, which is the center of this very article and the third is detergent pods. The pods are the most convenient, Utilitywise. It is absolutely hassled free as all what you have to do is toss a pod into your washing machine and voila! The work is done.
No more waiting for dissolving the powdered detergent in water or trying to control the wastage of liquid detergent every time to mishandle the bottle by mistake. Pods are water-soluble pouches filled with liquid detergents. But the only issue is that these are expensive. Powders are a struggle and many washing machines are not suitable for powdered detergent use.
Hence, liquid detergent comes to the rescue. It readily mixes in water, whether hot or cold. It is much easier to pour out the liquid and is a lot less messy. There is a hierarchy of classification in this type of detergent as well. Some liquids are suited for cotton clothes exclusively, while some are made for washing woolens only. Some are designed for dark clothes while some for light-colored ones. And the classifications are unending.
The type of detergent also depends on the type of washing machine which is being used. There are mostly two types of washing machines, semi-automatic and fully automatic. Semi-automatic involves a gap between washing and spin-drying as there are separate drums for both the processes. While fully automatic machines have a single drum for both.
Further fully automatic machines are of two types, top load, and front load. The top load uses horizontal spins to agitate and clean the clothes while the front load machine uses vertical circular motion to do the same. The basic working principles of both types are quite different and hence the detergents to be used in them also vary in their actions.
Washing machines may look sturdy and firm but they are also subject to small and delicate parts. These parts can easily be affected by the action of various agents present in the detergents which are added in them. Accumulation of detergent powders in the small gaps of the washing machine interior and forming large amounts of suds are some threats to the machine in the long term.
Therefore it is of high importance to correctly choose your detergent according to the type of machine you own. If you prefer to hand wash your clothes, it becomes really important to check whether the detergent is organic or not, whether it harms your skin in any manner or not.
The best thing one can do is look out for genuine reviews of various detergents or consult your family friends for their experience. Also, all the products are available in sachet forms at low costs, one can always use them to check the suitability of the detergent.
- 1 Top 10 Liquid Detergents For Washing Machine In India
- 2 Best Liquid Detergents In India Reviews
- 2.1 #1 Ariel Matic Liquid Detergent – 2 l
- 2.2 #2 Surf Excel Top Load Matic Liquid Detergent Pouch – 2 L
- 2.3 #3 Ifb Fluff Liquid Detergent
- 2.4 #4 Love & Care Soft Woollens Expert Care Wash Liquid Detergent, 950 ml
- 2.5 #5 Surf Excel Easy Wash Detergent Liquid, 1L
- 2.6 #6 Godrej Ezee Liquid Detergent – 1kg
- 2.7 #7 Vanish Oxi Action Stain Remover Washing Liquid – 800 ml
- 2.8 #8 Woolite Laundry Liquid Detergent, Darks – 1 Ltr
- 2.9 #9 Genteel Liquid Detergent – Pack of 2 (1kg+1kg)
- 2.10 #10 IFB Essentials Fluff Front Load Fabric Detergent – 1 L
- 3 FAQ’s
- 4 Things to Consider Before Buying Best Liquid Washing Detergent In India
- 5 Conclusion
Top 10 Liquid Detergents For Washing Machine In India
Best Liquid Detergents In India Reviews
Probably one of the most popular and sought after brands, Ariel detergents, and dishwasher bars and liquids are a common sight in many kitchens in our country. Starting off with the outer packaging of the product, it is an easy dispenser bottle made of sturdy plastic. It has a colorful container and comes with a handle for easy grip. One of the unique things of the bottle is that it has a transparent edge on one side from which you can easily check the level of detergent which is left in the bottle.
The cap is large and handy and measures up to 85 ml and has distinct measurement markings on it. It is suitable for both top and front load washing machines. All types of fabrics can be effectively washed with this, although it does not work quite well on woolens. There are no residues on the clothes after washing.
Not only this, but it also has a pretty blue color with good viscous liquid and a mild fragrance. Although a little expensive, this detergent owes it’s position in this list to its branding and functioning.
- It has a good fragrance
- It dissolves easily
- It comes with a measuring cap with different markings
- It gives a good washing quality
- It cleans the clothes effectively and releases all the dirt particles
- It can be used with any type of washing machine
- It does not leave any residue after washing
- It has an easy dispenser bottle
- The cap can be better as there are few leakage issues
- It is not really suitable for woolens
- It is a bit expensive.
As said earlier, all the powdered detergents were collectively known as ‘surf’ a few decades ago. This brand is perhaps the starting point and inspiration for many other brands that have risen to fame nowadays. This is a Top load Matic detergent pouch and hence produces much more suds. Since it is in the form of a pouch, it can be used as a refill for your previously bought and emptied detergent bottles.
It is also easy to carry while you are traveling as it takes up less space. It is a lightweight pouch and also generates less plastic waste (as compared to the large bottle). The cap only has one measurement mark of 60 ml. It is a thick and light blue liquid and is best for light-colored clothes. It does not seem to have a color guard as dark-colored fabric tends to lose color.
The fragrance also comes out as too strong but after clothes are sun-dried the smell fades away. Best for your day to day regular loads, this detergent is tried and tested. Also, it’s pricing is little on the affordable side as well.
- It is a bit affordable
- It is much more environmentally friendly
- Can be easily packed while traveling
- It can be used as a refill
- It is a good option for hand washing as well
- The pouch is handy for storage purposes
- It is suitable for warm as well as a cold wash
- It is easily dissolved.
- It has no nozzle opening
- The fragrance is very strong
- It has just one plain measurement.
IFB is an India based company and is a trusted home appliance maker. Be it dishwashers, microwaves or air conditioners. Their washing machines are of superior quality and high efficiency. The company has very cleverly manufactured their own laundry liquid detergent and they have really done a good job. Since the company has all the prerequisite knowledge of the working and construction of washing machines, it can be said that they manufacture a better and systematized detergent.
The packaging is attractive (light pink color) and appealing. It is a bit more expensive than its peers but is also more concentrated hence uses less detergent at a time (just 40 ml as compared to 60 ml of other detergents). It is observed to have retained the brightness of clothes and is free from all kinds of phosphates and chemicals.
With a beautiful and mild fragrance, it is a thick light blue liquid. Designed for front load machines it can be used for handwashes also. If you already own an IFB washing machine, this is a must buy. Even if you have any other machine, this detergent will still look after the internal health of your machine.
- The fragrance is awesome
- It is more concentrated as compared to other detergents
- It can be used for front load machines as well as hand washing
- It mixes with the water quickly
- It is used in small quantity and hence cost-effective
- It is suitable for all types of fabrics, woolen, cotton, silk, etc.
- It has an appealing packaging
- It has an easy nozzle pouring system
- The measuring cup can be better as there is a possibility of leaking
- It is expensive.
Another Hindustan Unilever product, this detergent claims to contain no bleach. However, it couldn’t pass the color test with flying colors as a few samples of clothes lost some color. However one cannot entirely blame the detergent as the type of cloth and type of water used also plays a major role.
It produces high suds and hence a lot of clothes can be washed with a little amount. The consistency is quite thick and the color is very light pink. It has a mellow fragrance that lingers on your clothes. It is not very ideal for machine wash due to the huge amount of foam which is generated.
It is gentle on the hands and does not cause any rashes and allergies. The packaging is a cute pink color and it has a strong cap. However, there is no nozzle for pouring out the liquid. All in all, it can be given a try for washing your woolens.
- It has a lovely fragrance
- It has cute packaging
- It is of good consistency and concentrated
- It is suitable for all types of woolens
- It is easily soluble
- It is on the cheaper side hence pocket-friendly
- Less quantity is used at the time
- It has value for money
- It’s color retaining properties are not up to the mark
- It is exclusively for hand washing only
- It does not have a nozzle for easy and mess-free pouring
The iconic Surf Excel has time and again proved that good quality can also come at a lower price. It is a light blue liquid with a thick consistency and a lot of foam is generated even with small quantities. It has the classic fragrance of Surf and also makes the clothes smell fresh.
It is suited mainly for hand washing but can be used for top load machines as well. With less quantity, more effect is produced and can be easily observed. This product comes at a reasonable price and has a sturdy and durable packaging.
However there is no handle or calibrations for convenience, but maybe these things are a lot to ask for at such an affordable price. It does not leave any residues and works wonderfully well.
- It is cheap
- It has a familiar and good fragrance
- It dissolves easily
- It gives more effectiveness even in less quantity
- It has an attractive bottle
- Its bottle can be reused for different purposes
- No residue on clothes after washing
- Very cost-effective
- It does not have a handle
- It does not have calibrations on the cap
- It is not suitable for washing machine use.
This is a detergent specially designed for your woolen and sensitive clothing like silk and chiffon. It has a cute and striking packaging with the pattern of a common design of a woolen sweater which symbolizes it’s utility. The bottle is sturdy and durable. It also has an easy pouring slot to avoid leakage. It is very effective on blankets, shawl, sweater, silk, chiffon, etc.
However, it is not suitable for washing formal wear or party wear clothes. A slightly thinner light orange-pinkish liquid, it forms a moderate amount of suds and does not cause a lot of abrasions. The cap is calibrated for easy measurement. The plastic bottle can be used as a hand wash dispenser later or can be refilled as well.
It is very gentle on your clothes as well as your budget. If you are worried about your woolens and want them to last longer, Ezee is the best choice to go to. This will leave your woolens clean, fragrant and safe.
- It has attractive packaging
- It is affordable
- It has a leakage-proof bottle
- It is safe for hands
- It is easily affordable
- It is suitable for woolens and some light cotton as well
- It has a reusable plastic container
- It has a measurement cap
- It is not very suitable for machine wash.
Vanish stain remover was the talk of the town when it was released a few decades ago in India. Although it is widely used outside India for a very long time it came as a big surprise due to its claim of removing all sorts of stains. It is unique in its claim as well as functioning. It effectively removes tea, coffee, and ketchup stains, but falls a little short in removing much tougher stains like lipstick and fruit stains.
It might look expensive but since it is used along with a carrier detergent, the quantity used is less and hence there is value for money. There are mainly two ways of using this, one is pre-treating only stains in a concentrated form and then washing it off with your regular detergent, while the other is mixing Vanish liquid with your detergent and washing it all together.
All in all, it is moderately effective but is a good option if you have children who tend to stain everything they wear. It is also proven to be mild on the skin.
- It is better than the powder version
- Maintains the color of the fabric
- It is used in lesser quantities
- It removes most of the tough stains
- It improves the efficiency of the carrier detergent
- It dissolves easily in the water
- It is safe for the hands.
- It does not have a handle
- It has a large mouth and there is a tendency to overspill while pouring
- It does not work properly on harsh stains like lipstick or fruit stains
- The bottle is not very sturdy
- It is a bit expensive.
This is a fairly new brand that is recently launched in India. However, it has an excellent track record in many European countries. This detergent is specialized for maintaining your woolen clothing and dark clothes. Everyone likes to own a black outfit. It is also inevitable for professionals as it is mandatory for them to wear black formals. Drak clothes tend to lose color the most and hence need extra care.
This liquid maintains the dark color and does not cause any discoloration. It is definitely very expensive as compared to its native peers but it will change your washing experience drastically. It is a royal blue liquid of thin consistency and lower suds. For people who like to try their hand at exotic and new stuff, this is definitely a must-have.
- It has an attractive bottle
- It protects your black and dark clothes
- It has a very sweet smell which lingers after washing
- It has keratin present in it
- It is not very foamy
- It can be used in both types of machines
- It is suitable for hand washing also
- It is worth the cost
- It is very expensive
A product of the very famous Godrej brand, this is a trusted product. Godrej also manufactures washing machines and hence its washing detergents stand a great chance of wooing its customers as well. This bottle comes with a nozzle dispenser like many other brands, making it easier to pour. The bottle also has a side handle. The liquid is transparent and of a gel-like consistency.
Its mild fragrance does not tingle the nose and is appealing. It also has a fabric conditioner as a constituent and softens the fabric. But too much fabric conditioner can also be harmful. It is ideal for both, front and top load washing machines. This is not a very unique detergent other than the fact that this brand is very reputed.
- It has a pleasant light fragrance
- It is a 2 in 1 detergent and conditioner
- It is a tried and tested brand
- It is suitable for both top load and front load machines
- It is value for money
- It has a nozzle dispenser
- It is much cheaper
- It is not suitable for handwashing
- It does not effectively remove hard stains
- It can damage sensitive clothing due to the conditioner present in it
- It cannot be used to wash woolens
As said earlier, washing machine manufacturers are the best people to manufacture the detergents suitable for their machines. Obviously, this detergent is specifically good for washing machines, but this can’t be used for handwashing. It is an aqua-colored, concentrated liquid that produces lower suds, making it suitable for a front-load machine.
The bottle has a side slot for easy handling and is pretty to look at as well. One liter of this liquid is enough for nearly 40 washes which is very reasonable. One must take care to buy authentic and untempered products as good products can easily have duplicates. You will not need any extra conditioner after the washing cycle as this liquid already fluffs up the fabric and makes them look shiny.
The only factor concerning this is the high price of the product. But it is also true that all these properties together are not easy to find in another detergent. It is also environmentally friendly as it passes the phosphate test. It is also a 100% vegetarian product. One can give this a definite try.
- Easy to handle
- Good cleansing action
- Good for the washing machines
- No extra conditioner required
- Value for money
- It is expensive
Clothes are not only a thing of fashion, but of status, health, and necessity too. The craze for different and unpopular types of items of clothing is fast spreading. Hence it is not just important to go along with the trend but also understand your clothes. They are non-living, but definitely have life in them. It is hence required to acknowledge this and take special care of our clothes.
Moreover, clothes can cost a fortune sometimes, making it all the more important to care for them. Detergents, water, and sunlight are the benefactors of your clothes. Many people complain about how their detergent ruined the clothes and some don’t even seem to know the actual cause. As said earlier a cheap detergent just gives the feel of cleansing while in reality, it is just harming your fabric.
What kind of fabric requires what kind of detergent should be known by everyone. It is no rocket science and hence the above article has captured all the things you should know about your ideal detergent hoping that it could clear all your confusion and help you make better decisions.